Skip to main content

You Asked & I Delivered! (A Bennett Affair Novella)

My, my, my!!! The Bennett Brothers have come a long way. They've faced some turbulent times that left them with an unknown feeling about their reality and new normal. The Brothers have fought, broken barriers that seemed impossible to overcome, and most importantly... They welcomed love in the most unconditional way possible!

What more can they overcome? Wanna find out? Dive into the pages of True Love to see these brothers come together one more time in the name of brotherhood and family. You may be surprised to find out that they aren't much different from the rest of the world when it comes to coping with the new norm and facing a pandemic crisis.

SEAN
Swissssh! 
Clean and smooth it goes. Nasty. Every shot aiming at the goal adds three points to the board. Randall mentioned tonight would be a pivotal moment in his career after he shows out for his boy.
"Daddy!!!" Camden yells, bright eyes beaming to oblivion as the tall figure in blue and purple rushes off the court, slapping hands with his little man. Cameras pan into our direction, first emphasizing the duo, then the three of us. 
"What it do, big homie?" Sweat transferred from Randall and poured down my forearm as he dapped me up. "I'm shutting everything down. Call me the fucking Grim Reaper, Nigga." Randall bounces all over the place, the crowd going crazy to his performance before he is hauled back into the game. 
Since my marital union with Chelsea, my schedule as Sean B., the rapper, has lightened up, and Sean Bennett, the husband, has been filled with playdates and activities. My priorities changed. Playing the field, parading in the clubs, doing life as my own is no more. God, Chelsea, Cam, and Senai superseded. I've grown up to be that man. A family man. Who would’ve ever fucking thought it?
"Sean, thanks for bringing me to the game." Cam was strolling through the private suite, being sure not to pass up on the food that was heads above anything you could get at a fast-food restaurant. One thing about my bonus son is that he could eat. 
"What I tell you about that, Cam?" Squatting to level, I ask. "You say it like that's not what I'm supposed to do. You are very much mine as Senai Caitlyn. I love yo big head." I nudge him away, pulling him back into my coat. 
Everything flowed until Senai entered the world. Cam had a hard time finding his footing into the new norm of our lives. He's never been shy of asking for anything or being responsible for his duties in school. Lately, he's stayed to himself, asking for less, fidgeting around essential matters that should be discussed. After evaluating things, I made a conscious effort for one on-one-time.  Ever since then, we've been better, communicating like the old days.
Tiered seating with plastic chairs become visible as we travel from the concession stand back to the stands. Boos and outrage intensify the closer we get. "I know, I know, this isn't what everyone was expecting. Especially at this point in the season, however, it's for the best. We take the health and safety of our players, staff, and you, the fans as a priority around here." The announcer continues through the stadium, alerting the end of the basketball season until further notice. "Tonight, sit back, jump up, go crazy, and enjoy one of the best games this season." 
Cinnamon and sugar penetrate my palate as I inhale a cup full of pretzels. "We double dipping now?" I tease Cam, who's robbing me of icing. 
"Yep. Just like you do to me with evvvverything I eat." He exaggerates my need to take anything from him. My guy was a lil comedian.
"That's what we call parent privileges, boy." The buzzer rings, signaling the end, Los Angeles dominated the scoreboard. Randall throws his thumb back, indicating that I meet him at the exit towards the locker room. He should be celebrating with the team. His contribution of fifty-nine points to the one hundred and two points is huge, considering the losing team has the best record in the league. 
Cam twists his growing hair while he opens the pathway between the sea of people, trekking out the stadium. As fast as we tried to escape, one person after another halted our steps. "Sean B. I see you've been in the cut. No music?" Derrick approaches me, dreads patting his back.
We bump fists, "I'm chillin', man." Quickly I lock hands-on Cam who's moving too far away from me at an immense speed. "Enjoying the finer things in life. You know money doesn't bring genuine happiness." 
He nods. "True dat. One day, I'm a lock a shorty down. Until then," He shrugs, throwing his palm upward, "I'll keep searching."
Slipping my hoodie over my head to hide my identity, we practically ran to our destination. Then I remove the hat. By now, security is aware of my set up with Randall. This is his moment to say his goodbyes before Cam turns it in for the night.
The second we cut the corner, Randall appears to be waiting, "Sean, you have no idea how much this means to me tonight for you to take time out to bring Cam."
"Aw, man, don't go acting like that. Y'all trippin’." Randall knows I'm all in. If I'm available, I make a way. He not the only one vested in this kid. 
Spreading his legs, pretending to dribble and shoot, Cam mimics his twin. Excited by the prospect that his father scored the last winning shot against the glorified team.
“Come here, Cam,” one of the teammates calls him over, leaving Randall and me alone. 
Randall started, "I texted Chelsea about getting Cam tonight." A white towel shields his face. This takes me by surprise, it's a school night. This isn't a problem, he takes him to school all the time except why all of a sudden? "Chelsea says she needs to speak to you first."
Distinctive pulsing coming from my hand catches my attention. "Give me a second," I signal to Randall as I slide the cursor to answer the call. Walking out into the densely populated hallway, I scurry to find privacy. An office door is ajar, I slip inside, pulling it shut.
"Baby?" My heart rate paces, afraid of her answer. "Why is Cam leaving tonight with Randall?"
"Hey to you too, daddy." She sighs, "Well, if you haven't heard, the season is canceled due to the coronavirus outbreak. I even received an email from the school system, about an hour ago. Cam is out until further notice." 
I sit in the chair to take all of this in. I heard the announcement, never thinking too deeply into it. The thought of school shutting down last minute is a clear indicator that things are far worse than what the news reported before. "When is Cam supposed to come back home?"
"I don't know, babe. That's the reason I reached out to you to be clear on my intentions. I'm thinking he can stay with Randall for a few weeks."
"Hell no." The ball of my toes dances to keep me calm. "You know my family.....
READ MORE HERE

Text DONNIA to 474747 to subscribe to the newsletter and stay on top of what's happening!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inaudible Shots Pre-Order

  Years after thinking I'd never do it again It finally happened I fell And so damn hard This time... I embraced it with open arms Even when I didn't know if it would be returned   My ex once told me, ain't no training camp vigilant enough to put me in tip-top shape for when Karma comes around. Well… Tonight she had caught me slipping.  ~Randall Neal~ As always, I try to let you know what's happening before the rest of the world, so...  Randall is the first to branch off with his own story stemming from a Bennett Affair Series. The PREORDER Link is attached below. https://www.donniamarie.com/inaudibleshots And for those who are dying to hear from Shooter, he is my MAIN priority. Don't worry I'm on it. Hopefully, Randall and the next couple of surprises keep you entertained until then. The full series for  A Bennett Affair  is complete. As well as the  Champion Sisters  Series. Formats  Audiobooks Paperbacks Ebooks #HappyReading and #HappyBlackHistoryMonth

🎧Audiobook Pre-Order Alert📚

  AUDIOBOOK PRE-ORDER ALERT Unexpected Love (A Bennett Affair Series, Bk 3) By Donnia Marie Narrated by Wesleigh Siobhan & Jakobi Diem Release on November 17, 2020 Audible:  https://adbl.co/2IpFs40 Kindle:  https://amzn.to/3kdaTeY Paperback & Merch:  https://bit.ly/2GRxnEM Happy Tuesday!

True Love: A Bennett Affair Novella is on Audiobook!

  GRAB YOUR AUDIOBOOK   Have you checked out the Bennetts on audiobook? True Love: A Bennett Affair Novella is available for your listening pleasure🎧 And if you haven't heard the other books in the series? Take a listen  here Can't get enough? Text  DONNIA  to  474747  to SUBSCRIBE to the newsletter and stay on top of what's happening, events, book releases, and more!